Drink water; how to lose weight? Is it reasonable to drink water while losing weight? How much fluid does a person need? Rules and plans for everyday drinking arrangements. Which water to choose?
How to drink water to lose weight is the first question anyone who wants to normalize weight should ask themselves. After all, even if they know about the undeniable benefits of pure water, many people prefer to drink coffee, tea, or juice. Once you establish a drinking regimen, you will take an essential step toward leanness and lightness. A sufficient amount of fluid in the body helps to normalize metabolism, detoxify and improve mood. As with any health problem, should only use tap water after a thorough investigation of the matter.
Why does water help you lose weight?
Drinking water to lose weight is not only possible but necessary. How much and what kind of fluids you drink are the key questions a professional nutritionist will ask when they meet. After all, a person is 70% water, and dehydration (deficiency) leads to reduced body function. And this is manifested not only with poor test results but even with minor deviations; one feels an entirely unpleasant symptom – dry mouth and general weakness. With a decrease in water content in the body by 10% or more, the deterioration of the function of individual organs worsens as cell death begins, disrupting the metabolism of water-electrolyte solutions.
The importance of correct water-salt balance for those who decided to normalize their weight is even greater. Inadequate fluid intake seriously impairs well-being and leads to slow metabolism and accumulation of excess in the body. By the way, its delay also indicates deviations from the body’s normal functioning. It contributes to high indicators of the arrows on the scales.
Reviews of water for weight loss talk about the success of controlling water consumption. But for skeptics, individual impressions alone are not enough. The facts should speak for the methodology.
And these facts become visible if we analyze the main functions of water for the body:
- In its pure form, it is a universal solvent for nutrients; that is, by controlling the quality of consumed products and the amount of liquid, one can be sure of the perfect adaptation of the elements. For example, water with lemon for weight loss is not only a way to fight thirst but also activates the body and stimulates the immune system with vitamin C.
- Water plays a crucial role in digestion. Staying hydrated can increase your metabolic rate, but controlling your food can create a calorie deficit and help you lose weight.
- It is an integral part of the transport system: an average water-salt balance allows the supply of nutrients to the cells and thus supports their function. People with weight management must absorb all foods consumed to maximize benefits to the body.
- It is an environment for eliminating waste products. Regular detoxification of the body is impossible without water, which means an effective fight against excess weight.
- Water is essential for nerve transmission and effective muscle control. When you lose weight along with exercise, it will allow you to achieve maximum results.
Research has not confirmed a direct relationship between how much water you need to consume for weight loss and the number of pounds lost. However, it has been confirmed that the diuretic hormone is normal in people who drink enough fluids. This substance is responsible for the water-electrolyte balance. If a person consumes less than necessary, his blood level rises. Conversely, a chronic increase in blood diuretics contributes to weight gain. Correcting the drinking system reduces the risk of being overweight by 31%. The complex mechanism of this effect is still being investigated.
The indications for taking water per hour for weight loss are the following data:
- 10 minutes after drinking 500 ml of pure water, the speed of metabolic processes in the body increases by 30%. It will maintain this level for at least an hour.
- When cold water is consumed, the body uses energy to heat it to body temperature, which means that calorie consumption increases; that is, cold water for weight loss helps to increase calorie consumption.
- Pure water reduces daily calorie intake by 200 kcal. About this number of calories are in lemon juice, juice, and other drinks with which you can quench your thirst. Therefore, switch to lemon water for weight loss instead of calorie drinks if you want to normalize your weight.
- Water reduces appetite. To consume fewer calories, drinking 1-2 glasses of liquid before a meal (within 30 minutes) is enough.
The data collected is more than enough to understand that the control of fluid intake is essential for normal functioning. Normalizing the drinking regimen will help shed a few pounds if a person is overweight.
How much water should you drink to lose weight?
A person’s drinking system is behaviorally regulated when the body loses fluid for one reason or another, and the level of electrolytes in the blood remains unchanged. Due to increased blood viscosity, saliva in the mouth decreases, and the brain receives signals of possible dehydration and thirst. The complexity of this system lies in the fact that unpleasant sensations appear when up to 5% of water is lost, and changes in the body begin as soon as 1%.
Suppose you drink water an hour before weight loss. In that case, the chances of being thirsty are minimal, as you consciously manage your water balance and focus on your body’s needs. The liquid enters the body before the unpleasant symptoms of lack of water appear – dry mouth, headaches, and others.
Of course, such a system is triggered when a sufficient amount of liquid is present. And here the main difficulties begin since there is no single number about how much water to drink to lose weight. Research does not support the general recommendation of consuming at least 8 glasses daily. In 1945, the US National Congress published data that differed from the advertised 2 liters. It is recommended to drink up to 2.5 liters per day.
So far, scientists have found that the need for water for humans is even greater. It turns out that the amount of fluid consumed, sufficient for the body’s normal functioning, is individual and depends on gender, age, physical health, expected activity, and other factors. For example, on the day of exercise, a person can lose up to 1.5 liters of additional fluid that needs to be restored.
The average fluid intake is 35 ml for every 1 kg. That is, for an adult weighing 100 kg, only to meet the body’s basic needs, it is necessary to consume 3.5 liters per day. And suppose scientists have already calculated the calculation of the daily norm. In that case, it has not yet been clarified how much water is needed to lose weight. Calculations are impossible due to the complex correlation between the processes of its adjustment and average weight. At the same time, it turned out that most people drink less liquid than usual. Only a regular drinking regime can improve the individual’s condition and establish the work of personal functional systems, which in turn will help fight obesity.
There is little long-term research in the US on the benefits of normalizing drinking. After it became clear that most people do not get enough fluid, 50 women were asked to consume an additional 500 ml daily. During the first 8 weeks of this treatment, they lost an average of 1.5 kg of excess weight. At the same time, nutritional correction in other aspects was not carried out.
Other studies also dispel the myth of pure water’s unique thirst-quenching ability. It turns out that it is only necessary for dehydration. In other cases, the body can improve the water-salt balance not only with the help of springs but also with the help of juices and soups. On average, a person consumes up to 1.5 liters of liquid in various drinks, up to 1 liter together with solid food. It can produce another 300 ml in the body during metabolic processes.
In calculating how much water to drink per day to lose weight, it is also essential to understand your daily fluid intake. Per day, up to 1.4 liters of fluid leave the human body with urine, and an additional 150 ml with hard stools, up to 0.9 liters evaporate through the skin. Up to 350 ml are exhaled with air. With increased sweating, more fluid is lost. Therefore, if you want to not only adjust your diet to fight excess weight but also add exercise, consider this fact when calculating drinking water for weight loss.
Attention! To date, many mobile applications have been developed to help calculate daily water consumption. The programs even consider the fluids that enter the body through coffee, tea, soups, and other foods and help estimate how much water to consume per day to lose weight.
Rules of drinking water for weight loss
Once you have determined each individual’s daily requirement for the body and adjusted it as needed, you should also consider the fluid intake schedule.
The Hourly Weight Loss Program is also individually tailored based on the following recommendations:
- 15 minutes after waking up, drink one glass on an empty stomach;
- 30 minutes before a full meal, drink 1 more glass;
- After eating, it is allowed to consume liquids for 2-2, 5 hours;
- 1 hour before going to bed, you need to drink another glass of juice;
- The remaining beverage is consumed in uniform portions within acceptable hours.
Do not be afraid to drink water at night for weight loss – this is another opportunity to support the body for a long sleep. By itself, it cannot cause swelling. Morning sickness occurs with too much salt and sugar intake or is a symptom of severe abnormalities in the body and should be the reason for a visit to the doctor.
Fluid consumption is a basic human need, but not everyone knows that a seemingly simple question also has its own rules:
- It would help if you did not drink liquids while eating. Drinking it will not only not improve digestion but may even increase the portion consumed. Water is absorbed much better in liquid soups than in an independent drink during meals.
- While consuming cold liquids requires more energy, drinking hot water is recommended for weight loss. Cold drinks reduce immunity and can make you sleepy. Both conditions are unacceptable in the fight against excess weight.
- Should consume individual per diems for at most 15 hours of the day.
- Consume the amount in small portions, starting with water in the morning to lose weight and finishing with a glass an hour before bed. It prevents unwanted stress on the kidneys and other organs of the excretory system.
- Always carry a water bottle with you. A few sips will help you avoid the discomfort associated with thirst and silence the first signs of a growing appetite.
Recommendations on how to drink water correctly for weight loss would be incomplete without the advice of strict control of consumption. Excess comes with the human body. And in this case, we are talking about dehydration with low fluid intake and intoxication with too much of it. Several deaths have been recorded in history due to heavy water consumption. Experts claim that, evolutionarily, the human body has adapted much better to a lack of life-giving moisture than to an excess of it.
What kind of water to drink to lose weight?
Once you have addressed the quantity and frequency of consumption, you should also consider the quality of the fluids consumed. Market counters are filled with various drinks, but not all of them will be useful in the fight against excess weight. There are often questions about whether to use carbonated water for weight loss, juices, or caffeinated cocktails because the availability of each intended drink undermines the individual’s self-control. Interestingly, in developed countries, most people drink not to quench their thirst but to get a pleasant taste.
The type of water to lose weight is essential to normalize weight. In this case, soda and commercial juice will not work. These drinks contain a lot of hidden calories and sugar. For the same reason, experts do not recommend using special sports drinks. But in fresh juice, no preservatives and added sugar are added during industrial production. But it contains the fruit puree, which allows you to quench your thirst and somewhat silence your appetite.
The best option for a person will be mineral water for weight loss. Preference should be given to brands with low mineral content (up to 2.5 g per liter). Otherwise, urinary processes are improved. For weight loss, it is permissible to use weak teas and drinks with additives such as water with ginger. They will not only quench your thirst but also give your body many nutrients in ginger. Dill water has a similar effect.
Thus, it is necessary to control fluid intake. Water is a crucial source of human health and well-being. And although there is no direct relationship between the kilos lost and the amount drunk, experts still recommend normalizing the drinking regimen, as it aims not only to fight excess weight but to normalize the balance of water-salt and metabolic functions in the body. Conscious consumption of essential fluids can be a smooth transition to nutritional correction and average weight.